Friday, January 30, 2009

Is there life after retirement?

By Bob Yong
21st May 2008

There is life after death, if you believe it. But while you are still kicking, can there be life after retirement?
Most of us worked for more than 30 years before retirement. I retired at the age of 65 and that would mean I would have worked for 45 long years. If that was not enough for a working life, what was? I am still physically strong and healthy and with God blessing, perhaps I will remain at this state of health for many years to come.
While in employment, you could hardly find time for recreation because each day was filled with tasks, discussions, appointments, meetings and entertaining clients. There were times you could hardly see your family. Upon retirement, can the things that you dreamed of and liked to do become a reality? Forget about the feeling that you are no longer wanted; accept the new challenge and get on with your life.
I must admit that the thought of retirement put me in stress as to what to do with all the free time at my disposal. Experts say, besides having saved enough financially to last you, hopefully, for the remaining of the life, it is advisable to draw up a plan on how you would like your retirement life to be.
To survive, we need to work for a living. After having worked for 45 years, I believe I deserve a reward for myself. The kind of reward will depend on your financial position and your physical condition, like traveling to places where you have not been before and doing your own things leisurely. It is bliss to get up at 10 o’clock in the morning.
I had traveled to many foreign countries on holidays and during my employments. Nowadays, with the advent of computers, I learn more about internet surfing which helps me in perusing my hobbies, like writing, and video-photography. I also spend time socializing at my clubs and take up hashing, qigong, ballroom dancing and karaoke singing. I even took part in karaoke singing competitions at the age of 65!
Live after retirement can be just as fulfilling and rewarding. I am enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment