Friday, January 30, 2009

Mother's day

By Bob Yong
11th May 2008

This morning I was in the church, listening to our pastor talking on “Are You Looking after Your Mother?” in conjunction with mother’s day, today.
My mother died when I was 40 years old. The pastor’s topic brought back many fond memories of her who came from China with father to seek better opportunities in this land, then called Malaya, more than 75 years ago.
Here is a story I like to share with you.

“I have not been visiting my mom for sometime due to busy schedule of work. I thought the best thing to do is to send her some flowers and wish her “Happy Mother’s Day”. So I went to the flower shop and ordered red and yellow roses. I paid the bill and requested that the flowers be sent to her. While leaving the shop, I noticed a small boy, asking the vendor how much a stalk of rose cost. When told it cost RM2, the boy’s face reflected disappointment as I could see he had insufficient money to pay for it. I told the vendor that I would pay for the rose. The boy was happy, thanked me, took the rose and disappeared.
I usually passed by a cemetery to get to office. While on the way, I saw the same boy kneeling at a grave yard with the rose in his hand. I stopped the car, approached the boy and asked who the person he paid respect with was.
With tears in his eyes, he said it was his mother who died recently.
I wasted no time and immediately went back to the flower shop. I told the vendor there was no need to deliver those flowers as I would take them along myself to my mother.”

Have you visited your mother of late? Go visit you mother to day and say “I love you”.

No comments:

Post a Comment